The cybersecurity statistics of 2018 demonstrated the same trend as any year before that, with an interesting occurence: the cryptocurrency hype shifted the focus of hackers to a new type of malware.
- $600 billion, or 0.8% of global GDP, was the total cost of cyberattacks in 2017
- Every minute, there is 1 more website being compromised by hackers
- Vietnam is at #19 in the top 20 countries with the largest number of hacked websites. Over 70% of which belong to businesses who use them to attract customers, introduce themselves and demonstrate products.
- Coin-mining malware is surging at the moment due to the rise in the value of cryptocurrencies. This also leads to the decrease in the price demanded by ransomwares – down to approximately $500 for data decryption, nearly a half of last year’s figure.
What is the point of knowing those cybersecurity statistics?
First and foremost, we believe in the need to repeat a message as long as it is still relevant. Cyber crimes are still on the rise and their consequences are ever growing in severity.
It is, however, pointless to be worried. Instead, you can spend time learning about the current state of cybersecurity to start working on your website security and avoid becoming a victim. Start with this infographic on the biggest cyberattacks in the world
, the consequences of website downtime
, or the infographic below on the most significant cybersecurity statistics of 2018
In the meantime, our team of white-hat hackers from CyStack and the global security community will continue to improve and create new solutions for you to protect your business or personal websites from cyberattacks.
(Detailed analysis can be found below)
Updated cybersecurity statistics of 2018
According to CyStack Website Security Report, in Q3, 2018, there were 129,722 compromised websites all over the world. This means there is approximately 1 website hacked per minute.
The number of hacked websites for July, August and September are 43,110 , 41,450 and 45,207 respectively.
Website recovery statistics
By the end of September 2018, 21.48% of websites which were attacked back in July still haven’t recovered. For websites attacked in August and September, the figures are 33.87% and 44.08% respectively.
This indicates that a large number of website owners were either not paying sufficient attention to website security, unaware of being attacked, or unable to fix the issues
The cybersecurity situation in Vietnam
Vietnam is among the 20 countries with the largest number of hacked website in the world in Q3, 2018, according to our CyStack Website Security Report. Ranking at #19, Vietnam has 1,183 compromised websites, among which business websites make up the majority with 71.51%. E-commerce websites are the second most popular category with 13.86%.
Latest trends in cyberattack
Ransomware faces market correction after the peak ransom amount of over $1000 in 2016
The price demanded by ransomwares to decrypt the data is currently $522. This figure has decreased to less than a half of last year’s number due to market correction – which happens when ransomwares become too popular. Nevertheless, the number of malware variants still increased by 46%.
Coin-mining malware becomes the center of attention in the cybersecurity world
The value of cryptocurrency has increased exponentially over the last year, which led to the popularity of a new species of malware – coin-mining malware.
With an increase of 8500%
over the last year, coin-mining malware threatens to decrease the performance of servers, interrupt systems, break devices and waste users’ and website owners’ resources.
Targeted attacks take the old but effective approach
Targeted attacks are conducted by governments or individual attack groups against the system of a specific organization for certain purposes.
90% of these attacks are intelligence activities, while the remaining 10% consists of individual attack groups using the traditional “speak phishing” method to compromise the system. This method allows hackers to gain access to a system by sending an email with an attached file that, once opened, can create a backdoor for hackers to perform other malicious activities.
Mobile malware continues to increase in number
With the increase in the number of mobile device users, hackers are actively trying to target this group of victims by exploiting vulnerabilities like the fragmentation of the Android operating system. Everyday, there are 24,000 malicious applications being blocked before being released to the public. The number of malware variants has also increased 54% in 2017.
CyStack Website Security Report for Q3, 2018: https://vn.cystack.net/news/bao-cao-quy-3-2018/